The Yamaha RD500 (also known as the RZ500 in some markets) was a high-performance motorcycle produced by Yamaha Motor Corporation between 1984 and 1986. It was part of Yamaha’s RD series of motorcycles and was known for its advanced two-stroke V4 engine and aggressive styling.
The Yamaha RD500 was developed as a race-replica motorcycle, designed to replicate the performance and handling of Yamaha’s 500 cc grand prix racing motorcycles. It featured a liquid-cooled, two-stroke V4 engine with a displacement of 499 cc and a power output of over 80 horsepower. The engine was mounted in a perimeter-style frame, which was designed to provide a high level of stability and handling.
The Yamaha RD500 was initially released in Japan in 1984 and was later released in other markets around the world. It was well received by motorcycle enthusiasts and was praised for its high-performance engine and agile handling. However, due to increasing emission regulations and the declining popularity of two-stroke engines, the Yamaha RD500 was only produced for a few years before it was discontinued in 1986.
Despite its relatively short production run, the Yamaha RD500 remains a popular and highly regarded motorcycle among collectors and enthusiasts. It is remembered as one of Yamaha’s most iconic and technologically advanced two-stroke models.
Yamaha RD500 Specifications
Here are some key specifications for the Yamaha RD500 motorcycle:
- Engine: The Yamaha RD500 was powered by a liquid-cooled, two-stroke V4 engine with a displacement of 499 cc. The engine had a bore and stroke of 50 mm x 50.6 mm and was equipped with a six-speed transmission.
- Power: The Yamaha RD500 had a maximum power output of 82 horsepower at 8,500 RPM.
- Suspension: The Yamaha RD500 had a telescopic fork suspension at the front and a pair of hydraulic shock absorbers at the rear.
- Brakes: The Yamaha RD500 was equipped with a single disc brake at the front and a single disc brake at the rear.
- Tires: The Yamaha RD500 was fitted with 100/90-18 tires at the front and 120/80-17 tires at the rear.
- Dimensions: The Yamaha RD500 had a wheelbase of 55.1 inches and a seat height of 31.7 inches. It had a dry weight of 366 pounds.
- Performance: The Yamaha RD500 was capable of reaching a top speed of over 150 mph and could accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in around 3.5 seconds.
Overall, the Yamaha RD500 was a high-performance motorcycle known for its advanced two-stroke V4 engine and agile handling. It was an important model in Yamaha’s history and remains a classic motorcycle among collectors and enthusiasts today.
Technical chart of RD500
Here is a technical chart for the Yamaha RD500 motorcycle:
- Engine type: Two-stroke, V4
- Displacement: 499 cc
- Bore x stroke: 50 mm x 50.6 mm
- Compression ratio: 6.6:1
- Maximum power output: 82 horsepower at 8,500 RPM
- Maximum torque: 65 Nm at 7,500 RPM
- Transmission: 6-speed
- Fuel system: Mikuni BS30SS carburetors
- Ignition: CDI
- Starting system: Kick
- Lubrication system: Premix
- Clutch: Wet multiplate
- Frame: Perimeter-style, aluminum
- Suspension (front): Telescopic fork
- Suspension (rear): Hydraulic shock absorbers
- Brakes (front): Single disc
- Brakes (rear): Single disc
- Tires (front): 100/90-18
- Tires (rear): 120/80-17
- Wheelbase: 55.1 inches
- Seat height: 31.7 inches
- Fuel tank capacity: 3.7 gallons
- Dry weight: 366 pounds
- Top speed: Over 150 mph
Maintenance Instructions for RD500
Here are some general maintenance instructions for the Yamaha RD500 motorcycle:
- Check the oil level regularly: The Yamaha RD500 is a two-stroke motorcycle that requires a mix of oil and gasoline to operate. It is important to check the oil level in the engine regularly to ensure that it is at the proper level.
- Change the oil and spark plugs: The Yamaha RD500 should have its oil and spark plugs changed regularly according to the manufacturer’s recommended intervals. This helps to ensure that the engine is running smoothly and efficiently.
- Clean and adjust the carburetors: The Yamaha RD500 is equipped with Mikuni BS30SS carburetors, which should be cleaned and adjusted regularly to ensure that they are functioning properly.
- Check the air filter: The air filter should be checked regularly and replaced if it is dirty or damaged. A clean air filter is important for ensuring that the engine is getting a sufficient supply of clean air.
- Check and adjust the chain: The chain on the Yamaha RD500 should be checked regularly for wear and adjusted if necessary. A properly adjusted chain helps to ensure that the motorcycle is running smoothly and efficiently.
- Check the brakes: The brakes on the Yamaha RD500 should be checked regularly for wear and replaced if necessary. Properly
Performance Ideas for RD500
There are several ways to improve the performance of a Yamaha RD500 motorcycle. Here are a few ideas:
- Install an aftermarket exhaust system: One of the most effective ways to improve the performance of the Yamaha RD500 is to install an aftermarket exhaust system. A performance exhaust can help to increase the engine’s power output and improve its fuel efficiency.
- Upgrade the carburetors: Another way to improve the performance of the Yamaha RD500 is to upgrade the carburetors. Higher-performance carburetors can help to increase the flow of fuel and air into the engine, resulting in improved power and acceleration.
- Install a performance air filter: A performance air filter can help to increase the flow of air into the engine, resulting in improved power and acceleration.
- Upgrade the ignition system: An upgraded ignition system, such as an electronic ignition module, can help to improve the performance of the Yamaha RD500 by providing a stronger spark and more consistent ignition timing.
- Install a performance clutch: A performance clutch can help to improve the Yamaha RD500’s acceleration and power output by allowing the engine to transmit more power to the rear wheel.
- Install a performance suspension: Upgrading the suspension can help to improve the handling and stability of the Yamaha RD500, resulting in a more enjoyable and confident riding experience.
Overall, there are many ways to improve the performance of a Yamaha RD500 motorcycle. It is important to carefully consider the specific goals and needs of the rider and choose the appropriate modifications to achieve the desired results.
Carburetor Details and Settings For RD500
The carburetors on the Yamaha RD500 motorcycle are an important component that plays a crucial role in the engine’s performance and fuel efficiency. The carburetors are responsible for mixing the correct ratio of fuel and air and delivering it to the engine.
The Yamaha RD500 is equipped with Mikuni BS30SS carburetors, which are designed to provide a high level of performance and reliability. These carburetors feature a 30 mm diameter bore and use a slide valve to control the flow of fuel and air. They are designed to work in conjunction with the engine’s CDI ignition system to deliver a precise and consistent air/fuel mixture.
The specific carburetor settings for the Yamaha RD500 will depend on the specific model and year of the motorcycle, as well as the altitude and temperature at which it is being operated. The manufacturer’s manual for the Yamaha RD500 should provide specific guidelines for adjusting the carburetors.
In general, the carburetor settings for the Yamaha RD500 may include the following:
- Air/fuel mixture: The air/fuel mixture refers to the ratio of air to fuel that is being supplied to the engine. The mixture should be set correctly to ensure that the engine is running smoothly and efficiently.
- Idle speed: The idle speed refers to the speed at which the engine is running when it is not being accelerated. The idle speed should be set according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Throttle cable adjustment: The throttle cable adjustment determines how quickly the throttle opens and closes. It should be set correctly to ensure that the engine is responding smoothly to changes in throttle position.
- Throttle stop adjustment: The throttle stop adjustment determines the maximum open position of the throttle. It should be set correctly to prevent the engine from over-revving.
Overall, the carburetor settings for the Yamaha RD500 are important for ensuring that the engine is running smoothly and efficiently. It is important to follow the manufacturer.